UVa undergraduate students can request to be promoted to an MS student via the Master's Promotion request. With a modest amount of advance planning students are able to complete an M.S. in Statistics at UVa with one additional year of study. The M.S. Promotion request requires no application fees, no GRE scores, and no recommendation letters.
The M.S. program requires 30 hours of graded coursework (10 courses) covering the breadth of applied and theoretical statistics, and statistical consulting. In addition, the M.S. student must pass examinations that assess data-analysis and presentation skills.
Eligibility: All UVa undergraduates.
- Students pursuing a STAT major can plan to take up to two courses at the *5000- or 6000-level or higher, if the courses fulfill the M.S. program requirements (see program requirements below) AND these two courses will NOT be counted toward your undergraduate degree(s). If this can be done, students will be able to complete an M.S. in Statistics at UVa with one additional year of study.
- Students pursuing STAT minors and Data Analytics minors can also plan to take up to two courses at *5000- or 6000-level or higher. Additionally, they will need: Calculus 2 (MATH 1220 or MATH 1320), Probability (STAT 3110), and Mathematical Statistics (STAT 3120).
- These two graduate level courses must be in addition to your 120 undergraduate credit hours.
- These two graduate level courses are NOT required to be eligible for MS promotion. You can still apply for the promotion without them.
Master’s Promotion Request Application Deadlines:
The Master's Promotion requests should be submitted at the end of the penultimate graduation semester. For example,
- if you are graduating in Fall 2023 and are interested in the +1 MS program (starting in Spring 2024), please submit your application by mid-September 2023.
- if you are graduating in Spring 2024 and are interested in the +1 MS program (starting in Fall 2024), please submit your application by mid-December 2023 as soon as your Fall 2023 grades are available.
Submitting the Master's Promotion Request:
The following information will be required on the application form:
- A list of your planned (statistics) courses before graduation (to the extent they are known to you).
- The number of credit hours remaining to complete your undergraduate degree.
- Unofficial transcripts from SIS.
Please submit your Master’s Promotion request using the following link:
M.S. in Statistics Program Requirements:
For more information on the course requirements for the MS program in Statistics, see the Statistics Departments website: https://statistics.as.virginia.edu/master-science
For additional questions about the +1 MS program in statistics, including advising on courses to take and how to enroll in them, students should contact Professor Jeff Holt (email@example.com) in the Department of Statistics.